Saturday 6 February 2010

Caught Out




What do you think of this camera? Nice eh? I bought it on eBay this week, which is amazing, because I didn't really mean to.

Are you an eBay bidder? I'm not seasoned by any means but I've certainly bought a few things on there. One or two were ill-advised, or simply too cheap to be any more than you'd get anywhere for the money. But by and large I've done well there, even selling a few items for a good price.

So I felt I knew the ropes a week ago when I noticed this camera - the discontinued but excellent Sony Alpha 700, offered for sale, with no reserve, from a well-regarded and experienced eBay seller. This camera is sought-after, especially as Sony has yet to come up with a direct replacement for it, the nearest on either side being the Sony Alpha 550, or the full frame Sony Alpha 850.

This looked like a potential bargain. The price was so low, I bid a few times to see what the serious enthusiasts were prepared to pay. And when I bid my absolute limit, I stopped, noticing that with about 72 hours to go, I was now winning. I smiled to myself as I set off for a few days away, because I knew the price would go past me, probably by as much as another £150. I promptly forgot all about it.

But it didn't. So whilst interviewing someone on Monday night I got a text from a friend congratulating me on my new purchase. And then I had to think if I really had the money. Mind you, I've now got a new (to me) camera, and it's brilliant.

I'm glad I bid with such bare-faced cheek. Even if I wasn't really serious. But it did make me think.

Be careful what you strive for. You might win.

No comments:

Post a Comment