Sunday 4 October 2009

The Duke of Oklahoma

I've just clicked and paid on Paypal - to buy a CD. Been a bit of a while since I last did that rather than opting for the digital download, but this time it's with good reason.

Singer-songwriter Anthony Toner - originally from the north Coast of Northern Ireland - has released a new album called "The Duke of Oklahoma and Other stories." Now it's almost unheard of for me to order an album having heard none of the songs on it - but Anthony is different. For a start, there isn't a bad song on either of his first two offerings, "Eventually" (2002) and "A Sky for Every Day" (2008). Both got a good deal of airplay from radio stations in Northern Ireland, but "A Sky for Every Day" got a lot of commercial airplay, partly because Anthony's work was becoming better known, but especially for "Sailortown", a catchy and nostalgic look at the changing face of Belfast.

I've always loved his stuff, and the critics agree, so I'm perfectly happy to take the risk, for really, it's no risk at all.

Truth be told though, there's a particular pleasure in listening to work by a man who writes about people and places you know. I first met Anthony in a shop queue when we were both about fifteen. I first heard "Look at them dancing" whilst listening to a demo cassette in his car, parked on the drive outside his house. Then as now, I like to think I can guess who he's writing about - and it really doesn't matter if I am right or not. I'll just look out for a package on the mat when I come home from work this week.

Catch his launch night for the new album at the Errigle on October 22nd.

He's a fine artist, and worthy of your attention. Mind you he's an ugly beggar.

No comments:

Post a Comment